Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Slipping Through Tornado Alley North

Rothschild, WI to Clintonville, WI
57 miles
860 feet ascent
1,178 feet descent
2,366 calories

Today was probably the fastest pace ride yet, aided by a few hundred feet of elevation drop, no wind, fresh legs, and a motivation to beat the weather.  The air was thick as soup this morning, but the sun was poking through the clouds, and the weather radar looked promising, so I decided to hit the road.

Central Wisconsin Woods

Rains the past two days and flash flooding abated, but the creeks I crossed today were running high.

Creek Near Elderon, WI

And as the day progressed, the clouds thickened and darkened behind me.  Once again though, I checked in, heard thunder, and turned on the TV to find out there were tornado warnings just two counties away.  Clintonville got rained on, but missed the rough stuff.

Everything is so green because of all the rain, but Bigfoot still has his dark coat of fur and was sighted just outside Bevent, WI this afternoon!

Bigfoot Sighting (click to enlarge)

I think North Dakota is the champion of the largest roadside animals, but Wisconsin is mounting a challenge with it's own collection.

Giant Tweety Bird 

Giant Chicken on Wheels

My chasing dog defense theory of "stop and hold your ground" seems to have some credence as the last two times I have tried it, it's been successful.  We'll see if it holds up though: )


Finally, if you want to see an old Cobra Helicopter, Wisconsin is the place as I passed two of them today at VFW sites probably less than ten miles apart.

Cobra Helicopter at Bevent, WI VFW

Cobra Helicopter at Elderon, WI VFW

3 comments:

  1. I can see you are speeding along in the first photo. I thought the photo might have been from the nose camera of a Cobra it looks so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...or maybe a Chicken on Wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm disappointed in that they have the vision to create Tweety Bird, but instead of a proper Foghorn Leghorn, they only made a model of an ordinary chicken. At least they should have put a small Chicken Hawk near it, holding a tiny fork and knife.

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS