Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Stretching For The Lake Michigan Shoreline

Clintonville, WI to Manitowoc, WI
89 miles
1,142 feet ascent
1,499 feet descent
3,493 calories

I took a gamble today and departed with no confirmed destination or hotel room.  The plan was to ride to a shorter, "tentative" destination and then see how I felt and possibly go all the way to the Lake Michigan shoreline.  The weather was perfect with lots of cloud cover and temperatures in the lower sixties, so things were going well and I decided to try for the "stretch goal."

Scenic Wisconsin Vista

I've been seeing more and more farmhouses with eggs for sale, but today was the first one with turkeys on the front lawn.  There were no "for sale" signs though, so I don't think the turkeys were available.

Turkeys & Chickens on the Front Lawn


Speaking of lawns, this was the first, and only, farm that I saw with a baseball diamond!

"Field of Dreams"

I must confess that I did make a small navigation error this afternoon, but who can blame me when I see signs like this along the road?

Denmark?

And just before that sign was a different one for a town named "Holland."

Eventually, I made it to Manitowoc and the shore of Lake Michigan with a little time to take a quick tour of the downtown area.

Lake Michigan

Rahr West Art Museum

Manitowoc Courthouse

And for those interested, the "stop and hold your ground" dog chasing defense is now 3 for 3 with one "successful" confrontation today.

3 comments:

  1. Kudos on the stretch - biggest day yet? Good to hear standing your ground has worked - saves wear and tear on the hardware and protoplasm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright with the dog control. Think you are exactly right to just confront the little chicken sh***. They go back with tail between legs.

    Great day. Lots of miles. Tomorrow a boat day, or will you rides circles on deck to make up the miles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shouldn't keep that Christmas ham tied to the back of your bike.

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS