Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Across the Great Divide

Lincoln, MT to Augusta, MT
56 miles
2,497 feet ascent
2,864 feet descent
2,373 calories

The Continental Divide

It wasn't until yesterday when I was looking at the map that I realized I would be crossing the Continental Divide today.  I was more interested in how many climbs and how high they were.  Then I saw the dotted line on the map and said "oh, crap, this could be trouble!"  Fortunately, it was "only" at 5,600 feet elevation where I crossed, instead of something insane like ten thousand feet.  Still, it was not a pretty sight.  After waking up with a tweaked back from a squishy hotel bed, I headed out of Lincoln in a cool 55 degree morning.

Heading up to Rogers Pass
Threatening Weather Before The Pass

Then, headwinds and uphill climbing meant three hours to cover a measly 17 miles.  But at the pass, things began to come together, and the eastern slope meant an eight mile glide downhill and warmer temperatures.  However, before that I had to spit on the Divide so my DNA would make its way to both oceans! (Other people do something else, but this is a PG-13 blog.)

Grizzly Rider

The change in landscape was quite dramatic as trees nearly disappeared within just a few miles.

Eastern Slope of Continental Divide

The Road Down Rogers Pass

Things are quite desolate once out of the mountains, but the wide openness makes it clear why they call Montana "Big Sky Country".

East of Rogers Pass

Jill, Raymond, Brenda, Donna, Mr. & Mrs. Davee (just wanted to say that)  thank you for the nice card you sent to my parents place.   My Mom read them to me on the phone today.  That was very thoughtful of you!

I made it to Augusta today on a gamble.  At the turnoff to Augusta, there was a big Montana Hwy Dept sign that said the road I plan to take out of Augusta tomorrow is closed.  Uh-oh.  The options were going all the way to Great Falls, another 48 miles (not likely) or sticking with Plan A, 20 more miles to Augusta and seeing if I could get through the road closure on bike or relying on locals.  Fortunately, when I checked in to the Bunkhouse Inn, the receptionist said you can walk or bike across the bridge that washed out.  Dodged another bullet.  The Bunkhouse Inn is a cool, old Bunkhouse from the early 1900's with simple rooms and shared bathrooms.

The Bunkhouse Inn

Trying to get all those calories in 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Tallies from GPS