Sunday, September 2, 2018

To The Shores Of Lake Huron

Clare, MI to Bay City, MI
59 miles
213 feet ascent
453 feet descent
2,234 calories

I think Nebraska is the state where they say "If you don't like the weather, wait, it will change."  But the same words could  be used to describe Michigan.   At 7:00 AM today it was raining steadily, and it was still dark.  By 8:00 AM it was still raining.

Eight AM View From the Lone Pine Motel

Magically, it stopped around nine o'clock and began clearing, so it was time to go see and ride the Pere Marquette Trail.  This is another of the "rails-to-trails" efforts, and this one is superb. The state and counties of Central Michigan created a highly used trail.  I think I saw more users than on any of the other trails.

Pere Marquette Rail Trail Underpass

Pere Marquette Rail Trail

Pere Marquette Old Rail Crossing
(Try pronouncing the name of that river three times quickly!)

The trail's embraced by all the little towns and communities through which it passes all the way from before Clare to Midland.  One town built display models of all the planets along one stretch.

Uranus On The Pere Marquette Rail Trail


Urauthor On The Pere Marquette Rail Trail 

I thought at first this sign said "Ferrari's Forever", but on second look, I realized it did actually say "Fieros Forever".  It is hard to believe there are enough people who still want running Fieros to keep the business going, but I guess there must be.  

Fieros Forever

Red, White & Blue Fieros

Most surprising of all though was the town of Midland, MI.  Approaching it on the trail I noticed several signs to "Dow Museum" and "Dow Gardens", so I assumed it must be related to Dow Chemical.  Further ahead I saw a house with distinctive Frank Lloyd Wright characteristics, so I asked a lady walking her dog if he had designed it.  She said she thought it was done by Alden Dow, who had studied under Wright.  When I mentioned Dow Chemical, she said that was his brother.  As it turns out, Midland, MI is location of Dow's headquarters.

Building In Midland, MI With Frank Lloyd Wright Characteristics 

Park Monument in Midland, MI

Beyond Midland it was another twenty miles to Bay City and Lake Huron.  Fortunately, I checked in and got groceries from  Kroger just in time before the weather changed again!

Six PM View From The Euclid Motel






3 comments:

  1. For 1/2 second, I thought you were sitting on the Uranus pylon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still did some good miles despite the rain, and had clean clothes to boot! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked with some mulleted degenerates at UPS in my 20's who managed to put a small-block V8 in a Fiero. Back then I thought it was pretty cool. Looking back, I realize than I also had a mullet that time. The mullet is gone but I still think it would be cool to own a Fiero with a V8.

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS