Saturday, September 1, 2018

Chasing Storms & Chasing Dogs In Central Michigan

Le Roy, MI to Clare, MI
52 miles
1,119 feet ascent
1,447 feet descent
2,093 calories

Ominous skies and a 70% chance of showers greeted me this morning, and I contemplated not riding, but the weather radar didn't show too much activity, so I chanced it. 

Racing Storm Clouds

The rain held off for about the first twenty miles, but then a steady drizzle began, followed by thunder; time to get off the road.  Fortunately, I was just rolling into Temple, MI, so I pulled into the only restaurant/watering hole in town and hunkered down with a bowl of chili.  But not before passing another cyclist headed West in the drizzle.  We laughed at each other and gave the thumbs up; it's only water!

After about an hour the rain subsided, and the radar showed a break coming, so it was time to make a run for it.  

Sunny Michigan

I made it about five miles before the showers kicked in, not downpours, but enough to get everything wet.  Thirty minutes later they stopped, and then it turned warm and muggy with some fog.

Storm Chasing In Michigan 

By the time I reached Farwell it was drizzling again, so when I came upon a laundromat, voila, perfect opportunity! 

Seeking Refuge & Doing Laundry

I hung around and did laundry for an hour or so.  (Yeah, I know, this cross country touring seems glamorous and all, but, yes, you still have to handle the ordinary and mundane activities of life.)

By the time the dryer finished, the skies had cleared enough so I could make the final trek to Clare, MI, in County Clare, of course.

Clare, Michigan

Another pair of dogs gave Chase today, so I tried the "stop and stand your ground defense" which seemed to work on the first one, but the second one kept coming.  He eventually stopped though after some profanity laced screams by the owner!   I think I would have obeyed too.


1 comment:

  1. Great adventuring! Much better with photos too. Glad to see you pushing through a little drizzle, and good fortune on the launder-mat! I’d say you’re 5-0 on the dog chronicles. Keep up the adventuring.

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS