Wednesday, September 5, 2018

This Can't Be Canada, It's 92 Degrees!

Yale, MI to Wallaceburg, ON
63 miles
259 feet ascent
456 feet descent
2,316 calories

The National Weather Service website had a heat advisory for eastern Michigan today with temperatures in the 90's and heat indices into the high 90's due to the high humidity.  They were right.

Slight breezes kept things comfortable for the first hour or two of riding through farmland and another tree-lined rail trail.

Cyclist Silhouette In Eastern Michigan

Wadhams-Avoca Rail Trail

Then things heated up, and it was time for lots of breaks, but that was alright because by that time I had reached the scenic towns along the St. Claire River that runs between Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair. (Between Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie it becomes the Detroit River.)  There was plenty to see, and I would liked to have stayed and looked around more.

Everything along the river was called "Bluewater" this or "Bluewater" that, and once I reached the waterline, I understood why.  It may not be apparent in the photos, but the water was a tropical blue color.

Marine City, MI On the St. Clair River

Canada Geese (real ones this time) on the St. Clair River

Magnificent homes lined the riverside, and I imagine many people from Michigan and Ontario flock here for getaways, but things were very quiet today since the season is ending.

Old Holy Cross Church on the St. Clair River

"Bonnie", the innkeeper at the Sweet Dreams Motel in Yale, fortunately had informed me that the Bluewater Ferry, which I was supposed to take, was out of service from ice damage this past winter.  Luckily for me there was another one just about nine miles further down the river in Algonac, MI.  Otherwise, it would have been a very serious detour.  Unlike the four hour Lake Michigan ferry, this one takes about ten minutes.

Algonac, MI to Walpole, Island, ON Ferry

The ferry crossing was a nice respite from the heat as the breezes on the water cooled things down nicely.  Once onshore on the Canadian side though, the thermometer read 92 degrees.

Welcome To Canada

The river was just as scenic from the Canadian side.

St. Clair River Navigation Lighthouse

This part of Ontario is very flat, and has canals and other rivers running through it.  Some parts even looked like Florida.

Ontario Canalway


"Finn", a nice kid I talked to on the ferry ride, told me my motel in Wallaceburg was right across the street from Crabby Joe's restaurant.  With a name like that, how could I not go there for dinner!

Crabby Joe's Restaurant

3 comments:

  1. Didja think aboot going to Canada when planning your trip, eh? The river looks stunning and has inspired me to start my own blog. I'm going to take daily pictures of the B4 parking lot to similarly document my daily adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a crazy, wonderful journey you are on, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, Canada already. Cranking those miles out like a machine. Looks like you are seeing some of the best of both countries. Fantastic journey all along. Will be in Honeoye soon.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS