Thursday, September 6, 2018

Canada Means Tim Horton's For Lunch

Wallaceburg, ON to Ridgetown, ON
42 miles
203 feet ascent
118 feet descent
1,559 calories

Fortunately, the weather turned "nicer" overnight for biking to cloudy and overcast with temps in the seventies and only the slightest chance for rain.

It's been a long time since I've seen any other cyclists, and I was wondering if they were all gone for the year.  But when I opened the door to my room this morning, a couple was rolling their bikes out of their room.  Tom and Sue are riding from Minneapolis to Bar Harbor, Maine.  Then, on the road to Dresden, I thought I could see another cyclist ahead of me.  Sure enough, it was, and I caught up to and rode into town with Gary from Lake Helen, FL, who's celebrating his 25th wedding anniversary by riding the "second" half of the Northern Tier route from Wisconsin to Bar Harbor also.
Gary From Florida

Yes, I did say Dresden.  Since I already went through "Holland" awhile back, and Frankenmuth a few days ago, Dresden would only be natural, right?

The Road To Dresden (Ontario)

There were not a lot of sights in Dresden, other than the gravesite for Josiah Henson, who escaped slavery to Canada and was instrumental in the Underground Railroad.  His memoirs were key to Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin".


Josiah Henson's Gravesite

Dresden did have a Crappie outdoor store for hunting and fishing supplies though : )


Crappie Store

There were a few interesting crops along the road today.  First, I could have sworn that I saw tobacco fields, and then this barn confirmed it.

Smoke Shop Barn

Second, there were tons of white pumpkins in this field being readied for Halloween. I only vaguely remember seeing white pumpkins before, but they must be in demand somewhere.

White Pumpkins

The "third" crop, or crops, could not be identified because it was being grown in the largest greenhouses I've ever seen.  They must have covered tens of acres, if not more.



Giant Greenhouses

Holland a few days ago, then Dresden today, that must mean the U.K. is not far away.  Sure enough, before the day was out, I crossed the Thames River!

Thames River Crossing

It's been some time since I've posted some livestock photos, so I tried to get a good shot of this nice horse in Dresden, but he was not cooperating.
Non-cooperative Horse

But this lounging Alpaca was was more than willing to pose!


Nice, Posing Alpaca

4 comments:

  1. The "third crop" looks medical grade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doubt the third crop is medical grade.... I toured the first medical grade facility in Ontario (Hamilton) as couple of years ago. And the security cost more than the production facility. MY guess is that your greenhouse was non-medical grade tomatoes.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Energius says " wipe that silly grin off your face", but in more crude terms of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same grin, except it's upside-down. On a side note, are tomatoes legal in Canada for recreational use?

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS