Sunday, August 26, 2018

From The Abby To The Castle

Abbotsford, WI to Rothschild , WI
42 miles
1,198 feet ascent
1,309 feet descent
1,672 calories

I must be the luckiest cyclist around dodging thunderstorms and rain drops.  One threatened when I left Abbotsford and then one unleashed right after I checked into my room in Rothschild.

Leaving the Abby Inn in Abbotsford

The rain poncho is still in its wrapper, so we'll see how long my luck holds out.

A fellow I was talking with during breakfast was in the area to attend the "Steam Show", an event where they exhibit old steam engines and tractors.  And wouldn't you know it, about halfway through today's ride I began seeing signs for it.  A few miles later I drove right by it and could see several of the old steam engines and hear them making their distinctive sounds.

"Steam Show" in Edgar, WI

As much as I have been fighting the wind in Wisconsin, I would think they would be looking at wind power, especially near Lake Michigan.  Well, just over the hill from the Steam Show I came across the pieces for a giant windmill ready for installation.  The size of one blade alone was impressive, so when all of them are put together, it is gigantic.

Giant Windmill Blade

I am still surprised at the terrain in Wisconsin, so for kicks I looked up the highest point in the state.  Turns out it is about 1,950 feet, so with all these ups and downs, I have been nearly climbing to the highest point in the state.

Wisconsin Hill Country

The final leg today though was a nice bike path and pedestrian bridge  along the Wisconsin River just south of Wausau  leading to Rothschild, where I'm staying tonight.

Final Break on the Wisconsin River

1 comment:

  1. Unless your bike has a Tesla coil and a 1 billion volt transformer to charge your USB lights, it is probably wise not to bike in the rain. Rothschild, WI, is one of those places seldom heard, kind of like Hesperia, CA. You can spend your day watching the Maury Show to see the DNA paternity results and Judge Judy dispensing her wisdom to errant landlords.

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS