Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Lewis & Clark's Overland Passage

Winchester, ID to Kamiah, ID
44 miles

Idaho's Camas Prairie

Lewis and Clark traversed Idaho's high Camas Prairie twice in their journey, once heading westward and once heading eastward.  Many members of their Corps of Discovery became homesteaders after the expedition finished in 1806 and returned to areas they had explored.  I could see what drew them to the region today as I rode from Winchster, ID to Kamiah, ID.
Lawyer's Creek 

Much of the area is farmland due to the rich soil that yields plenty for wheat, garbanzo beans, and other crops.
Do You Know Your Wheat?

Had I been paying attention earlier in the day, where there were several "Know Your Wheats" signs posted in the fields, I would have been able to tell you why one of these wheat fields is green and the other is golden.  Well, I can tell it's because they're different varieties, but I don't know which ones : )

Idaho Dandelions on Steroids

While riding through several farms I noticed these plants that had blooms about the size of a baseball.  Curiosity got the better of me, and when I pulled over for a closer look, I realized they were the biggest Dandelions I've ever seen.

Funny Street Names in Idaho

I did meet another cyclist today who was heading west.  His trip was from Helena, MT to Walla Walla, WA, which he said was about a week long journey.  He said he and his wife went cross country about twenty years ago.  Hmmm, he was about my age, so maybe he knows something I don't...like one week bike touring is the way to go.

Leaving Winchester at 6:30 today meant avoiding the heat for most of the ride, and with a long 3,000 ft descent that I earned yesterday, I was able to reach Kamiah by 11:00 AM.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Tallies from GPS