Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Welcome To The Badger State

Chisago City, MN to Cumberland, WI
52 miles
1,670 feet ascent
1,217 feet descent
2,209 calories

I thought I would shoot right out of Minnesota within an hour this morning, until I got side-tracked by the Franconia Sculpture Park.  It first appeared through the trees along the road, and when some of the odd figures like a spaceship and an old carnival ride peeked through the trees, my first thought was "Well, to each his own."  But then more and more objects became visible and the "Franconia Sculpture Park" sign popped out from the side road.  Curiosity got the better of me, and I  probably spent forty-five minutes exploring the art. (You may want to click on some of the images for a full view.)

Boom Box Sculpture

Old, Suspended House Sculpture

Earth Moving Equipment Sculpture

Industrial Tubing Sculpture

It turned out to be quite the place and had several sculptors "In residence", actively creating new works.  Then, it was on to Wisconsin.

My expectation  was that the St. Croix River Crossing into Wisconsin would be anti-climatic and just another murky, meandering, muddy river.  Boy was I wrong.  Right outside of town a "Trucks Use Low Gears" sign was the first clue.  The St. Croix River has cut through some magnificent rocks and created something you would see out West.

St. Croix River (Minnesota Side)

St. Croix River Crossing

Before leaving Minnesota, though, I had to get my " Welcome to Minnesota" picture that I didn't get back in Morehead, MN :)

"Welcome" to Minnesota

Welcome to Wisconsin


St. Croix was a really nice town, created in the 1800's because the river and some of its rapids could power mills,  but once electricity became prevalent, it's growth halted.  Ironically, the river was eventually dammed to generate electricity.

While I never had to deal with those famous Minnesota mosquitos, Wisconsin seems to have them too, according to this one seen alongside a country road.

"Average Size Mosquito in Wisconsin"
(According to sign)





3 comments:

  1. Enjoying your blog Chris!

    Steffen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one photo looks like the proposed BT/WFi test setup!
    Enjoy Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that you went through Taylor's Falls, WI. There is stunning scenery there, and great rock climbing.

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS