Saturday, September 8, 2018

Running From Gordon's Remnants

St. Thomas, ON to Delhi, ON

40 miles
689 feet ascent
692 feet descent
1,419 calories

The remnants of tropical storm Gordon have been making their way up towards the Great Lakes, and I debated not riding today, but the forecast was cloudy with no rain.  I elected to keep the ride short though just in case, and because the winds looked bad.  Really bad.


National Weather Service Wind Forecast

I've been getting adept at reading wind barbs on these NWS maps, so when I saw the above forecast for 11:00 AM today, I knew it would be a rough day.  Fifteen knot headwinds,  about seventeen mph, were the norm for the day, so it took close to five hours to cover what would usually take three and half to four.  I only wish they had been tailwinds instead, then I probably could have sailed on them all the way to Nigara Falls.

About the only interesting part about the wind was watching it make the cornfields do "the wave" as the gusts rolled through.


Corn Fields Yielding To The Wind

The local area is still all focused on agriculture, and I passed several more tobacco fields.  Then, in Delhi I passed the Tobacco Museum.  I suspect the tobacco farmers may start branching out soon to other crops as all the local news headlines are about the upcoming implementation of Canada's legalization of marijuana.


Tobacco Field In Ontario

Watching (and yielding) to massive farming machinery as it comes down the road is always entertaining too.


"Fat tire" Tractor Hauling A Load

I stopped by a field of sheep today for a photo, but they just don't seem to be as curious as cows and horses.  They looked for a second and then turned and walked away.


Ontario Sheep

Rain is supposed to begin tomorrow, so I'll see how things look before heading east in the morning.  Tomorrow may become a rest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Tallies from GPS