Sunday, September 16, 2018

Closing The Gap

Macedon, NY to Dewitt (Syracuse), NY
77 miles
1,112 feet ascent
1,099 feet descent
2,928 calories

It wasn't supposed to be like this: 95 degrees and humid.  In the middle of September in New York?  Oh well.  I guess after the past three days of luxury, it was time to sweat a little.  Doreen, "super-SAG" number two, (and the one responsible for this ride in the first place)  dropped me off in Macedon just before 9:00 AM, and it was already sticky.

Super SAG Doreen 


I say Doreen is responsible for this ride because she's the one who first planted the seed in my nephew Patrick's mind about riding a bicycle across the country years ago.  He "took the plunge" and did it in 2007, and I followed him in a camper van.  Ever since then, the thought of doing it too was in the back of my mind.  And so here we are.

Many of the Canal sections I rode along today are no longer navigable, and some are no longer even in existence, being taken back slowly by nature or just turned into grassy "valleys" by towns.

Erie Canal From Closed Bridge
(Note fishing bobber on overhead wire---oops!)

Old Dry Dock

Nature Reclaiming Section Of Erie Canal


Early in the morning I realized I would pass the 3K mile mark today, and just before noon it rolled over for the third time.

Passing 3K Mile Mark

Just after that I spotted a huge bird nest atop a power pole and heard two big birds screeching away.  I thought they might be eagles, but after watching them a few minutes and seeing one fly around, I believe they were hawks.


Giant Bird Nest

After passing the Seneca River, things heated up, way more than the 86 degree forecast.

Seneca River

Bank Thermometer In Auburn, NY

That meant lots of breaks and lots more Gatorade and water refills.   After stopping at a mini museum along the trail to cool off and look at some of the history of the Canal, I finally made my way to Syracuse.

Downtown Syracuse





1 comment:

  1. 3,000 miles. pretty amazing and riding more miles than your age is impressive as well. Going at that clip you will be done in a week or less. Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS