Thursday, August 9, 2018

Cyclists Prefer Lower Grades

Dickinson, ND to Glen Ullin, ND
53 miles
751 feet ascent
1,085 feet descent
2,182 calories

Lower Grades in roads, that is, and today was pleasantly all lower grades, as I think I can say I'm officially in the Great Plains.  Ocassionally, a small butte appears on the horizon, but for the most part, views in any direction show just gentle low hills covered with crops.

Morning Haze Outside Dickinson, ND

The local news said this morning that the haze in the sky is due to smoke from wildfires in Canada.  It kept the temperatures a bit cooler though, and made for some scenic views.

A recurring theme in North Dakota (and most any agricultural area) seems to be the use of old farm equipment as a decoration.  The one below, I believe, is an old hay bailer.  It seems like 99% of hay is bailed in cylinders now instead of "square" bails, but I have still come across one or two places that had them.

Old Hay Bailer

But I prefer the more creative types who use their ingenuity to craft 
more interesting creations.

Bicycle/Lawnmower/Go-cart Windmill

The wind was very calm today, so the creation above was  not moving,  but I believe it was some sort of windmill.

Surprisingly, for miles outside Richardton, ND, the two towers of the church below were visible in every direction like some of the great cathedrals in Europe.

St. Mary's Church, Richardton, ND


There seems to be a lot of northern Euopean influence in the region, especially German.   Vas ist das?

Yes, "Fort Sauerkraut"!

And, today more Sunflowers than you can believe.  I was able to meander into a field to get a sense of their size and density, but I think they still have more growing to go.

Giant Sunflower Field

1 comment:

  1. I dream of a day when I can meander into a sunflower field to casually get a sense of their size and density, but my fellow inmates tell me that I shouldn't have thoughts like that because it will only bring disappointment.

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS