Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Reach For The Falls

Simcoe, ON to Niagara Falls, ON
103 miles
508 feet ascent
692 feet descent
2,805 + ? calories (GPS ran out of juice & had to switch to Strava)

After getting "cabin fever" from being cooped up inside most of the last two days, it was nice to get back on the road.  The rains finally stopped during the night, and the morning was very cool, overcast, and still.  Perfect.  I decided to just ride without looking at my odometer today and have no set destination since there were several cities with multiple hotels along the route. 

The route hugged the north shore of Lake Erie much of the way, so lake views and lake houses were plentiful.  Despite the threatening skies, it only misted a few times, but not even enough to make the road wet.

Lake Erie

Break on the Lake

Progress was good and the cool temperatures made things very comfortable.  I decided to have lunch in Port Coleborne and felt good enough to continue on to Fort Erie fueled by a nice chicken burrito. 

Port Coleborne Bridge


As I rode the Friendship Trail to Fort Erie, I toyed with the idea of going on to Niagara Falls.

Port Coleborne-to-Fort Erie Friendship Trail

Making the turn into Fort Erie I got a nice skyline view and had to snap a shot.

Do You Know Your Skylines?

Fort Erie was the starting point of the Niagara Falls Recreational trail, and it was about another hour and a half or two to reach the Falls.  Even though I have been there a few times, in the Summer and in the Winter, I decided to press on since I realized I had never seen them at night before.

Lake Erie Becomes Niagara River

Coming up the Niagara River from the south provides for some interesting views.  The one below is from far away, but is an interesting perspective since the rising mist looks like smoke and the sky was clearing over Lake Ontario.

Niagara River 

I made it just before sunset and got to hang out with my seagull friend and enjoy the view.

Niagara Falls


Niagara Falls

I'm glad I made the extra effort to make it because the views at  night are surreal.  Lights shine on both falls and change colors over time so the look changes constantly.

Niagara Falls Night View

"American" Falls Night View

Unfortunately, I missed the fireworks, which I didn't know about, because I was wolfing down a Whopper at Burger King.  So, I guess I'll just have to come back again some other time!

P.S. The skyline is Buffalo, NY.

1 comment:

  1. I’m struck by the beauty of the falls, and by how much you and your gull buddy look alike.
    P.S. glad you are okay and enjoying all the details.

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS