Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Mr. President, Mr. President, There's Been An Attack!

Beach, ND to Dickinson, ND
65 miles
1,998 feet ascent
2,264 feet descent
2,942 calories

Surveying The North Forty

Another day in North Dakota and another day of firsts: the first visit to a National Park named after a president, and the first animal attack of the ride---more about that later.

I must confess I had not even heard of Theodore Roosevelt National Park until a few days ago.  But there it was, right on the map.  And that explained the $200 hotel rooms in the tiny town right next to it, Medora.  As I approached it from the west, which was mostly farmland, I wondered what sort of "park" was this going to be?  But as I got closer and meandered through some "mini canyons" it became more like one would expect for a National Park

Scene Outside Medora, ND

Break Time Under The Old Oak Tree In Medora, ND

The Painted Canyon Visitor Center provided one of the more popular viewpoints in the park, showcasing the colors and ruggedness of the landscape.

Painted Canyon, Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Painted Canyon, Roosevelt National Park


After leaving the Park and about halfway to Dickinson, I experienced the first wild animal attack of the ride.  It was the last thing I would have expected, and I was ill prepared.  Not a dog, not a coyote, not a bear, not a cougar.  Not a skunk, not a badger, and not an elk.  It was a hawk!  I heard the cries of a hawk and looked overhead and admired him gliding on the air currents above the field aside the road.  Then he flew over the road , and I remember thinking to myself, "I hope he doesn't drop one on me!"  A few moment later , "WHOOSH", I heard something blow just past my ear from behind, and he flew straight ahead.  Wow, I thought, he must not like me here, and I thought that would be it, but then I saw him go to the right and start circling back for another pass.  This time he was more serious, and I heard a "Whack" on my helmet.  Now he was serious, so I quickly grabbed my camera in the hope I could catch him.  Sure enough, he made one more final pass before leaving me alone.  Never a dull moment!

Attack Hawk On Final Pass

Attack Hawk Readies To Buzz Cyclist



2 comments:

  1. Ahh, the mighty Chicken Hawk of North Dakota. It is a known fact that their preferred diet is comprised of Lemon-flavored Skittles and mice. Your helmet must have made his beak salivate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pick up a Go Pro! I want to see you attacked in HD!

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS