Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Minnkota? That's What The Sign Said.

Valley City, ND to West Fargo, ND
59 miles
335 feet ascent
725 feet descent
2,151 calories

Brisk North Dakota Morning

A cold front blew through last night with lightning exploding all over the place and heavy rainfall, but by morning things were dry and the temperature had fallen into the fifties.  It would have been great biking weather except for a constant 10 mph wind from the north.

Lone North Dakota Windmill

Spinning windmills are generally regarded as a "cyclists stay home sign", but when home is not an option, you just have to grin and bear it. 

Minnesota was within reach, but I elected to stay in West Fargo, so I will cross the Red River in the morning and start pedalling around all those lakes.  I knew I was close when I saw a sign that read "Minnkota" as I pulled into West Fargo. 

The ride was probably the flattest terrain yet with still more corn, and this one crop that I could not identify until I saw the sign.  Then it was obvious by looking a little closer and seeing the pods hanging down.

Soybeans!

A little further down the road and I reached Buffalo, ND, a neat little farming town not far from a big ethanol plant.  I know it was an ethanol plant by the smell (and because the map said so).  A few days back I had passed one and didn't know what it was until the lady at the Rock Roof Inn B&B told me.  The distinct smell was like cooking Sherry/sour mash.

Buffalo, ND

Then, soon after departing Buffalo the pavement ended and turned to gravel.  Oops.

Gravel Road Outside Buffalo, ND

I took a chance and headed South on the possibility there was a paved road that paralleled the route, but no such luck.  Fortunately, I ran into a local who said the gravel road ran for eight miles before the pavement returned. I elected to opt for a sure thing and jumped on the Interstate for a few miles, but first I saw Eeyore and his buddy hanging out and a little entertaining baby colt running around a field.

Eeyore And Miniature Horse

Lastly, the mystery of the day was thus sign in West Fargo.  I am still trying to make sense of the "off sale" part?

Frontier Bar & "Off Sale"?

4 comments:

  1. Schmidt Beer? I thought they were out of business before they had plastic or lighted signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schmidt beer will always be in high demand among the elite Minnesotan beer connoisseurs. Be sure to try a can of Special Export Beer (a.k.a. "Green Death") and Grain Belt Premium. Ensure that you use good judgment when pairing with the appropriate food; those fine beverages will make even the foulest of fare taste appetizing, especially because you will be rapidly gorging large morsels of food in a vain attempt to rid your palate of the grotesque flavor imparted by the drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW "Off Sale" = "Drinks For the Road" or "Drinks for the tractor ride home"

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW #2: Minnkota makes the best trolling motors on the planet. I've seen only the silent electric ones and they are a must-have for fishing in shallow lake waters. Perhaps you can find yourself a nice cabin with a porch on one of the lakes. You can spend the rest of your days on a rocking chair on the porch, dressed in a flannel shirt, cowboy hat and overalls, while chewing a piece of straw and contemplating sunflower sizes while sipping on a Grain Belt Beer.

    ReplyDelete

Final Tallies from GPS